Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goodbye Irina?




Some days I feel as though I say my kids names 100 times, whether it is during giving instructions or playing hide and seek- they hear their names nonstop. So the other day out of nowhere Irina told me to not call her Irina anymore, she said her name is Evie and that's what she wants to be called. I just looked at her with a confused look on my face, "who calls you Evie"? I asked her. "My daddy calls me Evie and his name is Daddy and Craig, he has two names.. too" (fun fact, she ends most sentences with the word "too" after a short pause even though it is totally out of place). Most people don't know but her full name is Evelyn Irina Odom, but we've always just called her Irina. However, since the day she was born Craig has called her Evie when it is just the two of them. He made it clear that Evie is his nickname for her and that no one else can call her that. He's a nerdy daddy like that and I haven't thought much about that agreement in 3 years. Well, apparently my daughter likes Evie better than Irina and wants that to be her "big kid" name. I knew that she would one day look at her name on paper and decide to go by Evelyn, Evie, Ev or even Lyn, but I thought it would be in high school or something. She doesn't look like an Evelyn to me, or an Evie...she looks like Irina. At this point we are all (family and friends) going to continue calling her Irina and if she consistently says she wants to be called Evie we will change for her. It is kind of weird to think of this whole thing since she has been Irina for her whole little life. Irina or Evelyn...it doesn't change the way I see her or love her, Ill always call her my favorite baby girl.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, It would take a long time for me to get used to that. Not to mention, Liam would be totally confused;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute that irina is showing such a preference! Can't wait to see if she keeps it up!

    ReplyDelete