Monday, May 11, 2009

Abuelos


These are my grandparents on my father's side, they live in a tiny little town in Michoacan, Mexico called La Luz which in english is "the light"; it's about 24hrs away (driving non-stop). My Abuelito's (grandparents) visit about twice a year and I love seeing them. In my culture grandparents are to be shown nothing but the highest level of respect. In fact, for those of you who speak some spanish; there is a whole set of words that are only spoken to your parents, grandparents and older aunts and uncles. It doesn't translate into english and the only example I can think of is....you would never ask your grandparent "do you want a glass of water", you should say "would you like a glass of water". Like I said, it's the closest example and the words reserved for our elders defenitley won't translate into ingles. Here is a photo of 4 generations: Jose & Lupe Garcia, Jesus Garcia (my dad), Vanessa Garcia Odom and Irina Odom. I love that my grandparents are able to see the many kids (8), grandkids (about 30) and great grandkids (about 16) they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment